Friday, September 19, 2008

A bouquet of newly sharpened pencils



In the movie "You've Got Mail", Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks talk about how they love Fall and school supplies and the smell of scotch tape. Tom Hanks says, "I would buy you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils, if I knew your name and address." I love that. I know it's weird, but I buy school supplies every year even though Gavin is not in school yet. I just love a new pack of crayons, pens, paper, folders, tape, glue sticks. I could go on and on. It's strange, I know.

Well, our Fall schedule went into FULL swing this week. I love it. I always struggle along through summer with no structure. Now that we have weekly meetings and Bible Studies and AWANA to do every week, I am back to making my lists and gaining order in my house! It was a rough summer with being so sick and all. I can not tell you how I made it through. Most days it seemed like I was hanging on by a thread. I have to admit that there may have been more days this summer that I DID NOT make my bed than days where I did make it! However, all is well and back to "our normal" and I am feeling much better. My energy has come back and I have welcomed it with open arms!

I am on a quest to make the perfect homemade macaroni and cheese. I have tried about four recipes so far. I think I may have it down, with just one thing to tweak. If any of you have a killer recipe for it, please send it my way. I am just craving the right mix of pasta and cheeses! Please help!

No word on my camera yet. I sent it back to the manufacturer and am waiting to see if there is anything they can do for a waterlogged camera! I am sure they were surprised when they read our note! Who sends back a washed camera? It was worth a try, I guess. So, there will be a lull in pictures for awhile, I am afraid.
Well, I am ready to start crossing things off my list for the day! I hope you are all enjoying your Fall schedules!

2 comments:

Shannon Smith said...

Hi,

I've been "stalking" your blog for a while now and just never commented. I have a yummy Mac n' Cheese recipe for you though and it's super easy.

Boil your Macaroni
Drain and put back in your pot
While it's on the stove (this requires no baking) add the following:
1 can cream of chicken soup
some milk
the cheese you want
Mine is never the same twice but usually I use some cheddar cheese and a few pieces of sliced cheese. I've also used velveeta and that is yummy as well.
Heat until melted and be sure to stir often so the milk doesn't scorch.

Eat and enjoy!!

Sorry, I don't really have quantities for the milk and cheese, I usually just add in cheese until it look the right consistency.

Shannon (McMillen) Smith

Unknown said...

I have thought of that newly sharpened pencils quote SO MANY times already this fall! Love it. It so aptly describes the change of seasons. Just like the smell of newly mowed grass reminds me of sunny summer days.

I just got a subscription to wondertime magazine and near the end there's what the author claims is the world's best macaroni and cheese recipe. In fact the mag is even doing a best mac-n-cheese recipe competition to see if anyone can beat this gal's recipe. It's a bit involved to post as a comment; I'll scan it and email it to you. I think I still have your email address.

God's grace - it amazes me now that I'm a mom of two! Add to that that I'm struggling with thyroid issues and it just magnifies the fact that I'm not doing this mom stuff in my own power. So glad to hear God in His graciousness has restored your energy and motivation!