Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Busy, Busy

I have been very busy this last week. I have been so motivated to get things done. I decided to babysit this summer for the family that I used to Nanny for before Gavin was born. I am super excited about it, but I know that it will be so busy. I have planned out our dinner menu for the whole summer and have started to compile shopping lists for each week. Before I start to babysit I am going to make a TON of meals to freeze so that I can just pop 'em in the oven when I get home. I am super excited about it. I love making lists and being organized. I also made out a schedule for the summer for the kids. We are going to keep busy and have tons of fun. I am excited. So this week I have been making lots of bread to freeze. This is my "new" thing as of late. I usually make waffles and stuff for Gavin in big bulk sessions and freeze them so that I can just pop them in the toaster in the morning. That way I know exactly what is going into his little belly. Well, lately I have been complaining about the expense of GOOD bread. So, I decided to stop complaining and start being proactive about it. I have a break maker, so its pretty easy. I just started thowing the ingredients into an there you have it, a delicous, healthy loaf. So, I started on Saturday and I have made about five loaves so far (they take about three hours to bake). Today I am going to make some pizza dough. I am pretty excited about it. It will be an experiment!
I also decided to stencil Gavin's room last week. I knew what i wanted to do in there, but I couldnt find the right stencil, so I just ended up making my own. It was so cheap, and I already had the paint for it. I think that it turned out so good. I have been putting it off for some time, but in the end, it took me about 45 min. from start to finish. I dont know what i was procrastinating for so long.
Well, I have several projects that need to be completed before I start my summer job, so I better get to it!
Sorry about the long post, I usually hate reading others people posts when they are long and about nothing in particular . . . I just didnt have much to write about!
Here are some pictures of Gavin's room.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think from now on I'll call you super-organized girl! Did you ever consider becoming a librarian? :)

Gavin's room looks adorable! I bet he'll have loads of fun being with your babysitting-kids all summer long.

Freezing home-made bread works?!? I make homemade bread all the time (sans breadmaker though) but never tried freezing it. Let me know how the pizza dough goes. How long do you keep your homemade waffles in the freezer? My hubby loves waffles in the morning so I end up buying them - I know, they're horribly high in fat and contain corn syrup. Would you mind emailing me about the whole waffle process? aliciamhorn@gmail.com Thanks!

Rachel said...

Wow - Even though you are way more organized than I am, I also do the "waffle thing". I use 1/2 white whole wheat flour also and it makes them healthier. Your tastebuds will not be able to tell that they are more nutritios.
I bake bread, cookies, donuts and other baked goods and freeze them all of the time. I dislike buying that stuff from the store b/c of the horrible trans fats and who knows what else.
Also, I have a killer recipe for pizza sauce if you want it. It tastes very close to the Pizza Hut version. My hubby went hunting online on time and found it. I also make pizza dough from scratch. I make a double recipe = 4 pizzas and freeze them in balls after the first rise. I am not bragging (really, I'm not) but I have homemade pizza down to a science. I have researched and tweaked it until and it is now just about where I want it to be. I get requests for it all the time. We LOVE pizza in this house and ordering out was becoming expensive. Needless to say, this evolved out of necessity. I'd be happy to share it if you are interested.
Please let me know how the make and freeze meals go. I do a little of this but then I don't end up sticking with it. My husband's picky and some of the foods he likes, don't freeze well. Oh - I have an easy recipe for Pizza Casserole that makes a ton. I made it once and divided it into 3 of those 8x8 foil pans. So easy! The ingredients are linguine, Prego, mozzarella, Swiss, pepperoni and mushrooms. You can add or delete whatever you don't like.
I apologize for the long response but I LOVE to write/talk about food. I read cookbooks and recipes for fun. Weird - I know but it runs in my family. Let me know if you want any of those recipes.