Thursday, September 24, 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

So, I am always evaluating what I use and what I waste. I feel like I do a pretty good job of taking care of this planet that God has entrusted us with, but I know I can always do better. I always turn off and unplug things when not in use, I recycle everything I can, I cloth diaper etc. etc.
Well, here is one way I've decided I need to do better:
I am the wet wipe queen! I live in an 850 sq. ft. apartment and I have at least three tubs of wet wipes placed strategically around the house. I use them for everything! I also have them in the car and in the diaper bag at all times! I use them to clean the kids up after dinner. I use them if something gets spilled in the living room, I even use them to wipe down the sink in the bathroom if I'm in between cleanings. It's horrible, I know. So, I stashed a bunch of washcloths next to Charlotte's bibs in the kitchen and I've been grabbing kitchen towels to clean up spills and messes. I've stopped using them in the bathroom for ridiculous wipe downs (don't you just hate that bit of toothpaste that gets left in the sink?). I am still going to use them for diaper duty (the intended use) but I hope to drastically reduce my wet wipe usage from now on.

What ways are you working to reduce, reuse or recycle?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great job on the wipe decreasing! My mom always complains at me for using wipes on diapered babies. I mean, for poopy diapers, I can't live without some wipes. But we often use warm soapy washcloths to clean wet bums.

I need to be better about taking my cloth bags with me. Today I made an impulsive stop at cvs and didn't have a cloth bag in my purse (I'm a horrible purse switcher to match my outfits). I had to tote 4 plastic bags home - yuck!

We could also do more with composting. My hubby isn't on board with that though. We do worm-composting but that only takes care of veggie/fruit kitchen scraps. And we're wasteful with the kids' uneaten food. I usually just toss it instead of saving it for a future meal/snack.