Sunday, February 14, 2010

Getting Older

I'm not one to mind getting older. In fact, I embrace it wholeheartedly (much to everyone's annoyance). With that said and out of the way . . . lately, I. FEEL. OLD.

When I was in Michigan I stayed up way too late with my sister in laws. We were having such fun that the time seemed to pass so quickly. One night we stayed up until 1:30 and the next night (I am ashamed to say) the clock read 3:30 before we decided to turn in! I felt fine the rest of that week. This week, however, boy have I been feeling it. I have even taken a few naps to try and catch up!!

With the mountains of snow that we received this week, I decided to take Gavin out to play while I shoveled. I did this for 2 days. The following day, I could not get out of bed. My mind thinks my body can do anything. My body is telling me different. I even went as far as popping a few ibuprofen.

I went to get my hair cut this past week. I love getting my hair cut. It's a kid free hour and I always feel great when I leave. Well, maybe always isn't the best word. This trip left me feeling not so young. I had a front row seat to view my gray hair. I have had a gray streak for quite some time. I've always embraced it and was even oddly proud of it. Well, as she was cutting I was starting to realize that my "streak" has almost taken over the crown of my head. How and when did that happen?

The last event to make me feel oh so old also happened while getting my hair cut. After my glorious shampoo, I was sitting in the chair with the towel wrapped around my head. I was looking into the mirror and discovered a wrinkle on my forehead. A WRINKLE! Now you have really got to be kidding me. I'm over it now, but at the time I was slightly bothered by it. Thankfully my bangs cover it and no one will ever see it. But seriously, a wrinkle?

3 comments:

christina said...

this has to be the best post ever! haha! i love it. i am right there with ya, girl. well, almost. i like getting older. i did NOT, however, enjoy finding my first gray hair last week. :) it was made fun of profusely. but now it is gone.... for 6 weeks or 40 washes... whichever comes first. oddly, my first eye wrinkles didn't have the same effect on me. i've noticed those little boogers for some time now. i don't know why they don't bother me. but i will say that my mind and my body most definitely do NOT agree on what i can accomplish. what's up with that?? haha! i definitely feel things more than i did 5 years ago. anyway... good post! :)

My Kids Mom said...

Thankfully, I have yet to find a gray hair, but my husband has a head FULL of them! I LOVE gray hair on him though! I had a MAJOR, "I'm old" moment at the dermatologist...when I asked him about a spot on my face, he told me, and I quote: "Oh, those are just marks that we get as we get older"...I gasped and said..."I'm 30"! He informed me that he knew that and those spots are things that show up as we "age"...WHAT?!? I hate noticing that doctors are no my age...if not younger than me!

jeileenbaylor said...

Haha- I totally hear you girl. I have been feeling the same way lately!