Tuesday, May 01, 2007

What's that?

Here is a little background before I tell you the real story. As most of you know, we have one son, Gavin. Both Ryan and I are very happy with our family of three and go back and forth about adding one more. We mostly think that it will just be the three of us for quite awhile, but sometimes the mamma in me would love to have another baby. I always think that maybe when Gavin is four or five we would have another one. Okay, that is that. Now here is the story.

Last night Ryan and I were relaxing and drinking some coffee and watching a little TLC. Well, there was this show on about this family with eight kids. It was crazy, it took this family an entire day to organize their garage! It was a little insane. Well, about half way throug the show Ryan pipes up and says, "There is a part of me that would love to have six kids!" Pan over to me - shock and horror registered on my face. I say, "whats that, now?" and he says, "I just really like the way that Gavin turned out and would love to have a bunch more of him." I say, once again, "What's that?" It still has not settled in that he is actually thinking this through. He just laughs and brushes it off and starts talking about something else. I didnt bring it up, out of fear, of course. But that was a huge bomb he dropped on me. Here I am thinking our lives will be one way, and then Ryan is over there thinking a whole different way! It was pretty comical now that I look back at those few moments. He probably changed the subject so quickly due to the look on my face. I suppose I have a lot to think about now!

How many kids do you want to have?

11 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

Go for it - have six!!! As my husband always says, when we are old and gray we may wish we had more children, but it is doubtful we will ever say, "Man, we had too many! We should have stopped after Susie." We have never set a number. Ben wants 4-6, but because of all of my infertility issues, who knows if we will ever get pregnant again. We would love to have a housefull. I don't ever want to fall into the trap of limiting the size of my family due to my income.

Angela said...

Hi Suzanne, I check your blog fom time to time, I am related to Laura Fallin. I watched the same show and tell my husband all about it, because I think Kate and John are hillarious. I loved that she said John wouldn't run away while we were watching. Anyway, I don't want to limit my family, we have one son that is 6 months old and I can't wait to see how many God has in store for us. I only hope it's not 13 boys like the show that followed John and Kate! I like your blog, feel free to check mine out anytime.

jeileenbaylor said...

Hey suz,

Well.. you know our rule " NO kids till we finish seminary!' Which, I have to admit is seeming like FOREVER! But we are going to hopefully start having kids in the next couple of years. We would like to have about 3-4... but everyone says that we may change our minds once we have had the first. Personally, I have always seen you as a "mommy of many" --heee hee ;o)
Go for it girl!

Carrie said...

We originally planned for around 4 kids (I grew up in a family of 8 and Mike 4). We both love kids! After Caleb was born we were really happy with our wonderful one child house but then I got the urge to be a mommy again plus we wanted our kids to not be too far apart. Along came Titus just shy of 2 years later. Sometimes I still want more and other times I don't know how my mom did it neither how I would do or more so we are waiting a little longer till the next one and then aafter that we may stop or have more. Mike's rule is we all have to fit in one vehicle (not a 15 pass bus or van either!) So we are going for 3, 4, or 5 we will see how the Lord leads!

Unknown said...

Eek, that is a rather big bomb! I have a close girlfriend who is my age and a mom of 6 kiddos. Her life is a bit insane. Your organizational talents might be perfect for a large family though!

We hope to have 3-4 kids but we'll see what the Lord does . . .

David said...

we are hoping to have four kids. I think even numbers are better for the kids. then everyone has a play mate and there's no "middle child syndrome." but we're open to bigger too. children are an inheritance from the lord, blessed is the couple whose "quiver" is full of them.

christina said...

this really made me laugh! i could just imagine your face...:)
now that nathan has started his job, he's got that "baby twinkle" again. who knew he'd be the one wanting babies before me? he has always doted on his nieces/nephews though...so i guess it makes sense. surprisingly i have always wanted more kids than him though. i always say 4 he says 2. we'll probably settle on 3.

Rachel said...

Hi Suzanne,
Originally, Michael wanted 2 children but now that we have Michael, he would like 3-4 kids. He thinks that I should have triplets to get it all over and done with. I say - NO WAY! One at a time is a good plan:).
BTW - I love the show that you are talking about although we missed the last episode.

Ben & Shannon said...

4 seemed to be the "magic number" for us. Unfortunately the doctors see it differently. I was highly advised to not have any more. Each of my pregnancies have been high risk ,and this last one was pretty scary. We had thought about this being it, and when the dr talked to me I just knew that 3 was the magic number for us! We are totally happy with the 3 and satisfied with it. I had my tubes tied after Brooklyn. We are glad about that!!!

the johnson crew said...

i guess i imagine our family being the "15 passenger kind of family." especially if we stay here in the intercity. i guess we will have to move out to the country when we can't' handle adopting anymore. = we pray every day for God's plan for our family because we don't even know what we want or what he will give us.

Traci said...

This just reminds me of how in highs school you and I always said we wanted five boys. Do you remember that???? We have both changed considerably since then, although I still wouldn't mind if I never had a girl. We are happy with our two boys, but maybe down the road we might talk about having another kid. I don't think we'll ever have any more than three, though.