Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Homeschool!

Throw me some culottes and throw out the t.v. - We are a homeschool family!

We've got two weeks of homeschooling under our belts and we feel great. Our family is thriving, Gavin is learning and we are doing life together. Every day I love it more and more.

I ordered the curriculum My Father's World. I like it for the most part, but am finding that I need to supplement quite a bit - especially in Math and Reading. I love that it is centered around God's Word and how it applies to the world around us.

I am doing TONS of research on curricula for next year. I've ordered lot's of brochures and catalogs. I placed "The Well Trained Mind" on hold at the library and can't wait to pick it up. Has anyone read Cathy Duffys "100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum"? I am looking into purchasing it on Amazon. It looks like a good resource.

Here is a picture of our school nook in the house. I need to work on getting a desk for Charlotte - she feels very left out sometimes.



I hope to blog more about our home school adventures, but we're having so much fun we don't have a lot of time! The next time I blog it will probably be about our new baby brother - only two weeks left!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Woo-hoo welcome to the weird wild homeschooling community!! :) Who has time for TV anyways? Seriously. Culottes are super comfy though. I prefer to call them gauchos though, feels trendier. :)

I looked the My Father's World stuff and it seemed too simple so we're doing a mish-mosh of stuff. YES I've read (skimmed really) the 100 top picks to homeschooling curricula but I would suggest you get it from the library and not buy it. Well trained mind is AWESOME. Highly recommend it.

Have fun these last few weeks as a family of four!