Monday, October 25, 2010

M is for Moon

In a little of my spare time I've been searching for blogs specifically about homeschooling. I haven't really found one that I want to keep following. Let me know if you have any suggestions for me.

I have enjoyed reading YOUR blogs about your home school adventures so I decided to start documenting ours!

I am going to skip our first two weeks. I'm not too excited about back tracking and I didn't take too many pictures those weeks. AND, I didn't really add too many extras to it, so it was a little boring. This past week, I really ramped it up and we had more fun!

Our curriculum (My Father's World) focus' on one letter and one main theme per week. This week was the letter M and we learned LOADS about the Moon. We also learned that "I am the light of the world." Just as the moon reflects the sun's light, we reflect the light of Jesus. This has been a fun lesson for us!

This week we:
Made a Space Ship in the living room and read books in it about the moon. We read about Neil Armstrong and Apollo 11.

We measured how high Gavin can jump and then multiplied it by six to see how high he could jump on the moon.

We learned the phases of the moon, made a chart of what of the moon looks like each night (this will continue for another week), we made a book of the phases of the moon and we baked sugar cookies in the shapes of moons.

We made a Space Mobile to hang in the kids room and we made a moon out of marshmallows (we ate quite a few, too!).

We read the book "Little Bear" and made a space helmet to travel to the moon just like a chapter in the book.

We made a get well card for someone we knew was sick so that we could be "the light of the world."

We did three experiments to demonstrate 1.how the moon reflects the suns light 2. to see the distance from the earth to the moon and 3. to see why the moon seems to change shape. For these experiments we used a mirror, a flashlight and playdough. It was pretty fun to see Gavin start to understand how it all works.

I would have loved to plan a trip to the Adler Planetarium here in Chicago, but it didn't quite work out this week. I hope to get there soon, before Gavin forgets we even studied this!

In addition to all of that we also followed our reading plan, did our letter worksheets and worked on our handwriting (Gavin's WORST subject!!!).

Here are some pictures of our cool school - week three! I wish I would have taken more!
I Can't wait to post about week 4!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!!! Looks like you guys had tons of fun learning about the moon! Isn't it fantastic and rewarding to see our littles getting excited about learning?!? And I LOVE doing all the extra fun stuff -- makes learning come alive! Hope you don't mind if I copy some of your great ideas!