Wednesday, July 26, 2006

WHOO HOOO!!!

Well, I just recieved a much anticipated phone call!! The bid that we place on a house was accepted!! We are so excited to being on our way to being home owners again. For those of you who don't know, we sold our home in Allen Park last summer and moved out to Canton. We moved so quickly that we didn't have time to look for a house, so we moved into an apt. The apartment is actually bigger than our house was. It is a great apt. with a nice pool and really nice features, but it there is just something about owning your own home! The house is in the city of Dearborn in a great neighborhood with great schools. The elementary school is w/i walking distance and is supossed to be one of the best schools in the city. The house is located only two blocks away from the downtown area, where Ryan works!! It is one block over from the historical district as well. They also call it the "Ford District" because Henry Ford had all the homes built for his top employee's. So, many of the homes are over 100 years old. Our's is not, but the home next to ours is 103 years old!! Ours is a major fixer upper, though. Our first home was a fixer upper as well and we remodled almost the entire thing and we were able to sell it at a great profit. We enjoyed the process so much that we decided to do it again. I love being able to pick out everything for my house! I can't tell you how many times we've been to IKEA these past few weeks in anticipation of this! Anyway, here are some pictures of the house. Don't be too worried, in a few months I will be posting more pictures and you wont even be able to tell it was the same house!!!


This is from the back of the house. You can tell it is in bad shape by the boarded up windows! Yikes!
This is the veiw from the street. Not glamorous, but you just wait! It will be soon!



17 comments:

Jake B. said...

I love the fixer upper houses! Looks like you got yourself a real deal there. Me and Dana bought 3 houses in the first 2 years of our marriage and fixed them all up and sold them. That was the last of it for her though, so we went new this time. :) So we have owned 4 houses in 3 years. Are you going to have to live in it while you fix it up?

suzanne said...

Well, we want to live in it while we fix it up and then we will stay there for at least two years so that we dont have to pay taxes on our profit. How did you guys get around that? Did you guys live in the houses as you fixed them up?

Jake B. said...

You can get out of capital gains if the profit is rolled from like to like, house to house in other words. So we just kept rolling the profit into the purchase of the new home. One of the times we gave ourselves an extra 30 days on the family that purchased the house we were living in to give us enough time to get the major things done. Then we would fix it as we could. I will put pics of some of the homes on my site for your viewing pleasure.

Jenny said...

Great find, guys. It's so fun to watch God work even in house renovations! I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Traci said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! Oh wow I am so excited for you guys! You can tell that the house is very charming, even if it needs some fixing up. And that definately sounds like a great location that it's in! Yay! I can't wait to see what you do to the place! I can't wait until we move into our house. I'm with ya, I hate the whole apartment scene. Even though we live on the ocean, I would gladly give it up for some privacy.

suzanne said...

Jake -
Oh, yeah, I guess i knew that about rolling it over. I would love to see the pictures! I should dip up the before and After pictures from our other house. It was pretty bad at first! I guess we'll be coming to you for advice if we need it! Thanks Jake!

Anonymous said...

Yippeeeee! I'm sooooo excited for you! And my little friend Gavin will be MUCH closer now! I'm already picturing how awesome it's gonna look - your one in AP was definitely a good sign of how you all can go in and work hard and totally re-do the place into something brand new!

Kelli said...

Congratulations! Fixing up a house is such a rewarding experience. I am sure it will be nice to once again be home-owners and that is so neat that it is so close to wear Ryan works and to downtown. Can't wait to see the pictures of your progress. Have fun!

Katie said...

I think the house is adorable and looks to have great potential! I especially like the porch (I have a think for fron porches.)

I know it's fun to own your own home, though ours wasn't a fixer-upper. I'm afraid my husband is more the quirky proffessor type rather than the Bob Villa type. :)

I can't wait to see your house!

Jake B. said...

I would be glad to help with any questions you might have. :) I look forward to the before and after. That is actually my favorite show on HGTV.

Katie Barker said...

I too love the front porch! It looks like a charming house!

gone forever said...

Hey girl! What's going on!? Drew's at work and I've just been browsing blogs and I came across yours - so excited =) =) =)!!! I found you on shannon's. I hope you're doing well!! That's awesome about the house. I'm so excited for you!! We're trying to sell ours, but don't know where we're going...hahaha...we just want out of our current location. I'd love to hear from ya!

mittin92 said...

I jog in that area during my lunch. Can you let me know where it is so I can watch the transformation with my own eyes?
thanks,
Mitchell

Ben & Shannon said...

Cool! Sounds like fun! I would love to do that someday, but unfortunately we haven't done much of any updating on any of our places. We are looking to move and buy sometime this winter after the baby is born and stuff. Keep us updated on the house!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to ask - - -when you moving in???

suzanne said...

we wont be moving in till our lease it up at the end of November

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »