Friday, June 01, 2007

What a week!

Our week started out great. W had a fun Mmorial day at my mom and dad's house. We just hung out and relaxed and grilled some delicious burgers. Then Tuesday rolled around and we were going to get our carpet installed to complete the basement. The guys came and then went and left us with two peices of carpet that did not match. It was so weird looking. I dont know what they were thinking! Anyway, it took them a few days to come back out here, but they finally did and they fixed it today! So here is the basement, almost finished. The poles have been wrapped since this picture.




On Wednesday Laura came over and helped me price stuff for our garage sale. We had fun and Gavin played outside in the water all day. I filled up his sand box with water and he had a little pool. He had fun experimenting with different things in the pool. He even washed some of my car for me! He was so good and so cute!





On Wednesday night the drama started to unfold. We had been in the house for several hours and Gavin was really really hot still. So I took his temperature and it shot up to 103.9!! Yikes! I was a little freaked out. I called the Dr. and she told me just to give him motrine and bring him in in the a.m. He slept good all night, but I didn't. I set the alarm for 1:00 so that I could give him some more medicine. He was still flamin' hot so I was gald that I woke up to give him more. We got in to the Dr. office by 10:45, which was nice. They took his temp and it was responding to the motrine, so that was good. Gavin was really good the whole time we were there. They even pricked his finger so that they could find out if his infection was bacterial or viral and he cried a little bit, but he was a trooper. After they pricked his finger he crawled up on my lap and went to sleep. So I was sitting in the Dr.'s office waiting for his results and he was sound alseep! It was funny. I didnt even know he fell alseep until I heard him snooring. I knew he must have been feeling so icky to just fall asleep right there, that isn't like Gavin. Well, the blood test came back and they said the virus isn't bacterial, so no antibiotics ( Gavin has been fortunate enough to never have been on any antibiotic) but they did discover that he is anemic, so they gave us some perscriptions and sent us off to the lap for more blood work. There was this eight year old kid there who was FREAKING OUT when they took his blood. He was running around hysterical and was even running into walls and stuff. It was horrible. Then it was Gavin's turn. I was already freaked out b/c of the weird kid. But Gavin did so so so so good. He just sat there and cried a little bit. He even watched them the whole time. Ryan was trying to get him to look away, but he wouldn't. I didnt even watch it. I had my head turned the other way and all I could feel were Gavin's tears hitting my arm. It was so sad, but he didn't even pull away or anything. He just took it like a man. After a long day and evening yesterday, his fever finally broke sometime in the night. Ryan had to work late and Gavin's fever spiked up to 104.2 one time. My dad called me in the middle of a very dramtic tepid bath (complete with a popcicle bribe) and I was balling my eyes out b/c i felt so bad for Gavin and he wouldnt get in the bath. I think that my dad was about to drive all the way out here, but I assured him that everything was fine and I was just being overly dramatic. He gave me some good advice and told me to put him in the shower. It worked. He loved taking a shower like a big boy. Well, he liked it when the water was warm. I kept on turning it down on him and by the end of the bath we were both in the cold shower and I was singing "Jesus loves me" over and over again. It's the only song that calms him down! We finaly layed down at 10:30 and went to sleep. I set my alarm every four hours to check on him and give him more meds, but I didn't have to give him any so that was nice. I took his temp. this a.m. and it was down to 99.0 Today has been pretty uneventful, well, expect for one huge diaper blowout that resulted in throwing Gavin's bear rug in the garbage. But he is napping now. He ate a good breakfast and I think that the worst of it is over. Here is a picture of Gavin from last night. We were layng on the couch watching the wiggles togther. THis was Gavin's most comfortable position. He layed there like this almost the whole time. What a boy!!!!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a traumatic experience! Glad to hear everything turned out ok. Sounds like God has given you a very tough little boy!

christina said...

wow! what a couple of troopers you guys are! i'm so glad to hear good news at the end of that story...sickness is the pits. praise God for healthy days!

Ben & Shannon said...

Wow! That makes for a stressfull time! I'm glad he is getting better.

Katie said...

Awe, that's miserable! I'm glad he's feeling better. I totally know how you felt when Gavin was taking his pain like a man & crying on your arm. When Luke had to get stitches in his forhead, he cried so, SO hard and flinched each time the needle when in, but he didn't jerk or try to get away. So sad, but all better now. I'm scared of what else we'll face with our boys! :)