Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What in the World?

I just want to start out by saying that I LOVE my OB Doctor. He has been my doctor for about five years, he delivered Gavin and a few of my nieces as well. If anyone is ever looking for a Doctor, I would recommend him and proudly declare that he is the best Doctor EVER!
However, I have run into a small problem. I don't think that this "problem" is exclusive with my doctor. I think that it is just a trend in our country. Anyway, here is my "problem" . . .
It all started with my first prenatal visit when I was preggo with Gavin. I was a teeny bit emotional (okay, I was crying hysterically) because I had these hormones surging through my body and I was just adjusting. I wasn't at all mad about being pregnant, it just caught me by surprise and everything was happening so quickly. Anyway, because I was acting that way in his office, he proceeded to tell me that I was a HUGE candidate for postpartum depression and that I would need to be monitored after I had the baby. At the time, I was shocked and didn't quite know what to think. I mean, I was just an emotional pregnant woman not at all nearing depression. Anyway, eight months later I had Gavin and all was well. Never got brought up again. I was happy and healthy and normal.
Well, after I had the miscarriage I was afraid that it was going to come up again. I have had to go back a couple of times to monitor the hormone levels in my body to make sure the Hcg goes back to zero again. Well, the first visit was a little interesting. Dr. told me that we needed to wait for about two more cycles before trying to get preggo again. I told him that we would most likely be waiting well beyond the two cycles. He looked at me and then went into this long ordeal about the miscarriage and explaining that it wasn't anything that i did and that there was no reason that I shouldn't go on to have a normal pregnancy again. I think that he must have thought that I was emotionally distraught and couldn't even think about getting pregnant again. When in reality, we just aren't ready, simple as that. I was just nodding my head and listening him out and agreed whole hearted in everything that he said. No big deal, I left feeling pretty good about things and just thought that the next time i go back I will just be very confident and very secure in myself and my decisions to give him no reason to monitor my emotional stability.Well, the last week or so I have felt super hormonal and really felt unable to control my inward emotions. I just feel super moody and have had to work EXTRA hard to keep myself in check and not say or do anything out of control. I knew that I needed to bring it up to make sure that it wasn't too abnormal and I just had a lot of questions about when my body would go back to normal and all of that. I thought that I was back to normal b/c physically, I feel great, but I just feel like my emotions are all over the place. Well, I go on to tell Dr. all of this and his first instinct is to pull out that pad and write me a prescription for Lepraxo - an anti depressant! I was shocked because I was just feeling a little moody, I wasn't in the depths of despair and it wasn't even affecting my actions or my functionality! He decided in a matter of minutes that I was going through postpartum depression. It was so weird and surreal. And he told me that if I start to take them I have to take them for six months and to not even think about coming off of them before that! He did say to wait a few days before I started to take them to see if I got any worse. I feel like anyone could walk in and get those pills with a small story, true or untrue! He said, I just want you to walk out of here with the prescription, weather you take them or not, I want you to have that as an option! I understand that post partum depression is a very real thing and a very serious thing that people suffer from. I have a good friend that actually suffered from it and it was very real! However, I think that it needs to be diagnosed most carefully and more extensive questions need to be asked! Because, after all, here I am happy as a lark holding a script for Lepraxo!

4 comments:

Mike and Nicole said...

I don't know about it too much b/c I didn't feel at all depressed with Ava and I have felt great so far with Liela. I know I have also never experienced the loss of a baby which I am sure would make it more possible. Saying that, I would guess he, and most doctors that are quick to perscribe, are doing it for their own protection. I know that sounds like he doesn't really care, which I don't mean, but with all the crazies out there suffocating their kids and driving them into lakes, I would think they are trying to protect themselves legally as well as the kids. Like I said I don't know any of that from experience but that was my first thought. Plus, without Christ, what other options do people have? If I was unsaved and depressed what keeps me in check from doing something crazy? This is a huge comment huh?

suzanne said...

I never thought about their legal responsiblitiy. People do do crazy things! I understand why he did it, I guess I just thought that he would consider what he was doing for more than two minutes before handing over the script.

Mike and Nicole said...

I know what you mean b/c if you were some really insecure girl who didn't feel like you knew enough about it you would probably be taking the pills without thinking. you are right too that someone can just go in with a sad story and probably get whatever drug they want.

Julie said...

Hi, I just checked out your blog b/c I'm in MI too (about an hour north of you). Anyway, I enjoyed your pics and reading about the fun stuff you've been doing this summer. I also wanted to express my condolences on your miscarriage. What a tough thing to go through. At least as a Christian woman you can look to the Lord for comfort.

BTW, your son is SO CUTE!!