Saturday, April 19, 2008

Gavin Talk


1. I know most of you out there probably say/do what I am about to write about, but it is one of my pet peeves. Well, I guess I wouldn't call it a pet peeve, it is just something that bugs me. Just about every couple I know calls each other "babe". Because everyone does it, I refuse to do it. I know, I'm such a non conformist . . .
So, my loving Husband (who loves to make fun of me at every chance he gets, don't worry, I only pretend to hate it. I really love it) just LOVES to call me "babes". I don't know why he adds the 's' on the end, but he does. Anyway, all that to tell you this funny story about Gavin. I am sure you know what is coming by now.

Ryan and Gavin went to the park last night while I was cleaning up after dinner. When I was done, I headed out to meet them there. As I was walking up to the play ground, Gavin yells out in his sweetest most nonchalant voice ever, "Hey Babes!" I about died. I was laughing so hard!

2. Whenever I pull something out of the oven or microwave that is really hot I will say "hot mamma!" in a funny little voice to make Gavin laugh. A week or so ago I gave him a super pretzel that was pretty hot so I told him to give it a min. before he ate it. Well, he touched the thing and says, "Hot Gavin!" instead of hot mamma. I guess he thought since I was mamma, I say 'hot mamma' and since he is Gavin he should say, "hot Gavin!"

3. Gavin likes to pretend to be a dog a lot and sometimes he likes me to pretend to be a dog. Well, two days or so ago he asked if he could pet me. I said, 'sure'. So, he was rubbing my belly and I pushed it out as far is it could go (which, impressively, is pretty far). Gavin said, "Whoa! Are you growin' up a baby in that belly?" I was cracking up and I said, "no, no baby in there!" and Gavin said, "Well, it sure looks like it!"

4. Gavin's Bible verse that he is working on this week is Psalm 29:11 A fool always looses his temper, but a wise man holds it back. I asked him to say the first part to me last night and he says, "A fool always looses his temperature . . . "

5. He has also picked up a little slang lingo these days and he loves to use it. Every opportunity he has he will ask me something like, "Did you make me breakfast? Didja? Didja?
It's pretty cute.
6. As I am typing this he is playing with legos. He just picked up a lego guy and said, "This guy is Jesus, he's goin' on a cloud to see his Father!" His lesson last week in church was about Christ Ascension!
What funny things have your kids been saying?

4 comments:

Katie said...

Ryan calling you "babes" makes me laugh. I almost forgot, but Chris' friends used to call me "Sugarmama" in college. And Ryan would call me Sugs (pronounces "shoogs"). We would just be randomly passing each other in the Founders Center, and he would nod at me and say, "hey Sugs." Always cracked me up. :)

Unknown said...

Adorable! You are so good about remembering to capture all these moments of Gavin's.

We often let Chloe pray for our family devos or before supper. One night last week she was praying and we were all still sitting around the supper table after eating dinner. She started out by saying, "Dear God, thank you for this wonderful house . . . " then she mumbled something unintelligible. Matt peeked and saw that she was sneaking bites of food from her dinner plate while she was trying to pray! We all cracked up laughing. That doesn't sound as funny now that I've typed it but it really was a hoot at the time.

Katie Barker said...

Very fun :)

Mike and Nicole said...

My parents always said babe when I was growing up and when I got married I did not want to call mike babe. I hated it...it grossed me out b/c it was what my parents did...and now....we say babe. I guess its just easy but I am with you on not liking it. But like I said...we say babe to each other all the time.