Monday, April 21, 2008

Going Green

Well, as mentioned on Alicia's blog, earth day is coming up. The always free Lincoln Park Zoo was having a big event called Green Apple Music and Arts Festival. It is actually the largest Earth Day event in the country. They had music and tons of booths promoting organic food, hybrid cars, organic clothing etc. We had a good time. They were handing out FREE reusable grocery bags. I went through the line to get one and when I came back I sent Ryan through! We had a fun time and there was a TON of people there!



Enormous Lollipop!



This was the stage. We didn't actually sit and listen to anyone play - we didn't recognize any of the groups/bands.


Learning all about the hybrid cars

Snack break!



Yay! It's spring!

I don't know how Eco friendly you are, but I thought I'd share some tips and tricks to easily become more "green" with little effort. A will place a * by the ones that I am going to work on doing better.


1. Turn off/unplug appliances when not in use. It reduces standby electricity loss and can save you money in the long run!

If you have a clock radio, place a battery in it instead of keeping it plugged in all the time.

If your coffee pot has a clock or anything on it that is constantly using electricity through out the day, make sure to unplug it after you've had your morning joe!

* Turn off your computer when not in use.

* consider spending a few hours each week electricity free.


2. * Walk/bike/carpool when you can.

3. Use your own reusable grocery bags

4. * Recycle and be accurate about it. Go to www.nrc-recycle.org for more info.
example: cardboard cereal box - good. greasy pizza box - not so much.

5. You can avoid unwanted junk mail by going to www.catalogchoice.org and www.greendimes.com

6. Check your cars tire pressure often. It will get better gas mileage when the tires are fully inflated. It will save you money too!

7. Grill out! Grilling is a more energy efficient way to cook.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You are making me really wish I lived in the chicago area! So many wonderful free things to do!

Thanks for the green tips. I need to work on our standby electricity usage. My sis lives in NZ and there every outlet is built with an on/off switch so you can easily cut down on your standby elec. use. They also have two buttons for flushing on their toilets - 1/2 flush or full. Saves literally tons of water. Wish the U.S. would make such products more readily available! Here are some more tasks on my green wish-list:
*use warm wet washcloths instead of baby wipes
*start a compost pile and garden
*make my own laundry detergent
*reuse Chloe's bathwater somehow (any ideas? I'm thinking I could put it into buckets for watering our flowerbeds. would that be gross?)

Sanjiv said...

GreenDimes here,

Appreciate the mention. We now have a FREE service & will plant a tree. Cute kid.

undergroundcrowds said...

the appliance thing is a good idea. In Germany, you have to pay for grocery bags, so every brings their own and the transit systems are awesome.

jeileenbaylor said...

Tim and I have been pretty big on going green in these past few years. We recycle (even though we have to drive about 25 minutes to take it there) and we use longer lasting spiral light bulbs, turn our air and heat off whenever possible, and unplug and turn things off when we can. I really think Christians should especially aware of taking care of the environment. It is a gift from the Lord!

Unknown said...

Suzanne,

Wanted to share with you this link I came across this morning on recipes for homemade cleaning products:
http://thenewnew.blogspot.com/2008/04/diy-green-cleaning-products.html

YAY! I'm so happy that I converted you to cloth diapers! Disposables use lots of oil to produce and take thousands of years to decompose in landfills.

Are you interested in regular composting or the vermi-composting?

Happy Earth Day to you!

Alicia