Saturday, April 26, 2008

New Toy

No, not a new toy for Gavin. A new toy for mommy!


I was able to get my sewing maching this week. I have been waiting and waiting for this! The one I wanted went on sale this week, so I just had to get it! It turned out to be a pretty big ordeal, though. I loaded Gavin up on wednesday and headed off to the store to pick it up. There was some construction going on so I had to go a round about way to get there. I was so frustrated. It felt like it was taking forever to get there. In reality it probaby took about 7 extra minutes. When I finally got there, I had to wait in line because two other people were buying machines also. I guess it was a popular day for sewing machines! So, when it finally came to my turn she told me how much and I dug through my bag to find my wallet. I dug and dug and dug to no avail. I had to leave the store, go back to my car and search high and low for it. I knew I had grabbed it . . . or not! So, I went all the way back home and still couldn't find it. I finally told Gavin that we needed to say a prayer and ask God to help us find my wallet. So, we prayed that if someone found it that they would be honest and turn it in, or that I would be able to find it in the house or in the car. When I was finished praying, our converstaion went something like this:

Gavin: God is going to help you find your wallet?

Me: Yes Gavin, He will

Gavin: I think He is too busy, mamma. You might have to find it yourself!

Me (trying not to laugh): God is never too busy to help us out, buddy.

So, I decided to look in my bag one last time. And, of course, I found my wallet. It was with me the whole time. I was really glad that it happened that way, though. It was such a teachable moment for Gavin and I was glad I took advantage of it! So, we got back in the car and went back to the store and brought home my new sewing maching. After several attempts to get it going and figure it all out, I was finally able to sew my first project.

Drum roll please . . .


Ta Da!!

Dont look too closely - it is pretty rough.


I even included some inside pockets



And I just though I'd throw in some pics from the other evening. We drove to yet another park and then walked along lakeshore to look at the sail boats. It was VERY windy, but Gavin had a blast anyway.







4 comments:

Unknown said...

GREAT job on the new bag! Did you have a pattern or did you find the instructions online? That's a very impressive first sewing project. My first project a few years back looked awful. Welcome to the wonderful world of sewing!

Argh, what a frustrating moment about the wallet. That's happened to me before but I've been at the end of a grocery shopping trip and I was totally embarrassed. Glad you used it to show Gavin the reality of God!

suzanne said...

Well, I don't do well with patterns. I just looked at some bags and got an idea and whet to work. It took me a couple of hours, though.

jeileenbaylor said...

oh that conversation about your wallet with Gavin cracked Tim and I up! what hoot!

and i absolutely love your purse! Great job :o)

Laura said...

Your bag is so cute - you did a great job!! I love sewing, although I'm not super great at it and I have just a basic machine. It's been a blessing though and I have lots of projects to show for it! I hope you have lots of fun with your new machine and I look forward to seeing more of the cute things you make with it! :)

PS - Your live traffic widget is so cool! I'm giving you credit for finding it, since I'm going to put it on my blog too! Thanks!