Sunday, April 05, 2009

Think before you speak

I was shopping a few weeks ago with my sister and my niece. I was in Forever 21 and I was waiting for my niece to try on a shirt in the dressing room. I had Charlie in the Baby Bjorn. This girl that worked there came up to me and was oohing and ahhing over her. She asked me how old she was so I told her. She then looks me up and down (no joke) and gets this weird (kind of ugly) look on her face and asks me how old I am. Are you serious? I got defensive, of course, and told her I was, in fact 27 years old. What are people thinking, really? What if I was 16 or 17? She would have made me feel so stupid. You don't ask someone that! I know I look young, I don't deny that fact. However, you would think that most people would have the sense not to ask me just in case I really was too young to have a baby. This actually happens to me more than I would like to say. I get dirty looks at least once a month and comments like this maybe once every couple of months. It is irritating and humiliating. People in general really should start thinking before they speak.
UGH! Thanks for letting me vent!

3 comments:

My Kids Mom said...

I've had the same thing happen and so has my sister...especially since she has five. We often assure them we are plenty old enough to have children. I once, while counseling at Sr. High Camp with friends (we were both married to youth pastors) got yelled at for being out of our cabin and were both asked out on a date by campers...we quickly informed them all that we were well into our 20's!

Mike and Nicole said...

Poor girl. It is crazy what people say sometimes. You are nice though, b/c I would have probably been rude to someone oohing and aahing at my little baby and she wouldn't have had a chance to comment on my age.

kellyH said...

I can't believe how dumb & insensitive people can be!! just be glad that when you're 50 people will think you're 30. :)
I love charlotte's hat, btw!