Wednesday, October 15, 2008

G is for Gavin

Gavin and I have been learning all of the letters and the sounds they make. With each letter we usually do some fun crafts, trace the letter quite a few times, learn a Bible verse that starts with that letter and learn a Bible story as well. For the letter G we:

Baked and decorated ginger bread cookies
Told the story of David and Goliath
Made a giant goliath and threw "rocks" at him
Memorized I John 4:8 - God is love

It's had its up's and downs, but for the most part it has been going well. There are a few things that Gavin DOESNT like about it. He does not like 'sit time/self control'. I make him sit still with hands folded and mouth closed for about three minutes every day. That way when we are in public and he is getting too riled up all I have to do is say, "Gavin, sit time/self control" and he closes that mouth! (I learned this trick from my super mom of a cousin, Beth!)

He also has a hard time with "book time". Book time, like sit time/self control, involves keeping the mouth shut. This is by far the hardest thing in the world for Gavin. I increase book time by five minutes or so every week. We've made it up to about 1/2 hour of silently looking at books. I am hoping that this will be so valuable to me when baby Charlotte is here and she is nursing! For now, it gives me some peace and quit to do some reading of my own!

Well, here are some pictures of Gavin and his ginger bread cookies




No comments: