Monday, October 13, 2008

Pumpkin Puree and Pumpkin Muffins


Last year I started using an actual pumpkin for my baking instead of buying it in the can. To be honest, the taste is not that much different, but I love it anyway. I love baking from scratch! Today Gavin and I made these yummy pumpkin muffins. I made half with chocolate chips and half with out. It was fun. Although, I was on my own when it came to getting the guts out of the pumpkin. Gavin did not want to get "gooey". What a nerd! Anyway, here is the recipe we used. It was very easy, time consuming, but easy!


Ingredients
1.5 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
1 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract


* pumpkin pie spice = 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 t of ginger, 1/8 t cloves and 1/8 t of nutmeg!

Directions:
In a large bowl add the sugar, pumpkin, oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat well to combine. In a smaller bowl stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin spice. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until moistened. Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. Yields 1 dozen.

This recipe is very versatile. It can be used to make a quick bread as well. I also like to add a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the batter. If you are making it as a bread bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour.


This year don't just carve your pumpkin - EAT IT!

1 comment:

jeileenbaylor said...

mmm - looks good! What a fun festive thing to do too :) I am totally hungry!