Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Reading

Wow! Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons is NOT going like I thought it would. Gavin does not really like it at all! I don't blame him. It isn't fun. I didn't think I would have to be so forceful with him about it. That really caught me off guard. I also thought that we would do it everyday, but we are already two days behind! It IS getting better. I was really encouraged after our lesson today. I have figured out that I need to repeat one or two more times than the book recommends before Gavin can get it. Once I do that, he seems to do fine. I am also trying to figure out the best time to have our lesson. Tomorrow I'm going to try it first thing after our morning chores and see how it goes.
On the upside, it is working!!! He can already put together and read words with the sounds he knows. I am pretty impressed by the whole thing. I think with in the next couple of weeks, when it becomes more routine he will do better.

2 comments:

jeileenbaylor said...

Good for you! He will be ahead of the curve going into kindergarten. Keep up the good work :)

Unknown said...

I agree with you on that curriculum -- I've seen it and it's not very engaging. Good for you though in sticking with it! I started hooked on phonics with Chloe this year but then stopped because she was losing her love for reading and I don't think she's quite mature enough for a formal phonics curriculum yet. I'm going to hang back and try again in the spring.