Monday, October 26, 2009

Reading


Yesterday I started teaching Gavin how to read. I probably should have done this awhile ago, but he just wasn't interested. Things have really just started clicking with him. He is soaking up everything I am willing to teach him. I got this book from the library called "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons." It's fast, simple and claims it is guaranteed to work. If that's true, I should have a reader on my hands by February 1st. I'd love any feedback if you've used this or know someone who has. I've heard some good things about it and am very excited to try it! I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I've heard of it, but haven't read it. I'll be interested in hearing how things go!

I bought Phonics Pathways in August, and we've been working on Phonics, ideally 4 of the 5 weekdays, but things always come up. It's been harder since the novelty wore off. I was helped by watching my aunt (1st grade teacher for 30+ yrs) work with Luke when we visited a few weeks ago, and since haven't opened the P.P. book as much as work with flashcards to just drill through the sounds and work on blends. Yesterday I saw marked improvement, so I was happy!

I'm just trying to figure out how much to push "school" when he doesn't want to do it. I don't want to "ruin" it for him, but also don't think it's unreasonable for him to adjust to doing something he doesn't necessarily want to do for just 15 or so minutes a day.

He does enjoy Math a bit more - probably b/c it's more activities and hands- on stuff. We're going through Saxon's Math K - I bought the manipulatives kit too - and I really like it! I would def. recommend it. I'm pretty sure it's more of a pre-school math than really kindergarten.

Gavin's a year younger than Luke, right? Are you doing any other "school" this year? I never was interested much in pushing school until now, but I do wish that more educational toys (Leapfrog, etc.) stressed lower-case letters more than Upper-case. I'm pretty sure I've seen lower case fridge magnets; I'll have to track those down for Simon's sake.

Kelly Glupker said...

I'm glad you and Katie have older kids so I can learn from you! Let me know how it goes.
I'm with you Katie, I wish Leapfrog focused on lower case letters too. Owen can identify all the upper case letters and tell you what sound they make, but doesn't have a clue when it comes to lowercase.