Monday, May 11, 2009

Ethics reviewed

Thank you to those of you who left their opinion on my "what would you do" post. Here is what I did/or would have done in each situation.

1. The Roast Situation: This one actually did happen to us. Ryan and I were grocery shopping and I found a roast for $.13. I grabbed it with the intention of taking it to the register and seeing what happened. If it did ring up for $.13, I was going to get it. If not, I would have put it back. Ryan on the other hand DID NOT think that was ethical. He took it to the butcher and pointed out the mistake and they corrected it. No roast for us that week!

2. The coat in the park: This did happen to us and Ryan and I, again, had a difference of opinion. While taking the coat to a lost and found or the police station is a good idea, it is NOT practical in the city of Chicago. I doubt that anyone would ever call the police station to pick up a coat. I thought we should just leave it there. Ryan, however, thought it was okay to keep it. I still feel badly about it to this day (it was well over a year ago) and I don't think that Gavin ever wore it. My conscience bothered me way too much! This actually happened to us again this weekend. We were at a park and there was a little girls coat left behind. We checked with others in the park, but it wasn't theirs. We left it.

3. Target price discrepancy: This did not happen to me. It happened to a coworker of Ryan's. The cashier did not ring up one of her items worth $80 and she just walked out chalking it up to "good fortune". I have a similar situation before. I was at a store with a friend not intending to buy anything. I ended up finding something, but forgot I was holding on to it. I didn't realize it till I got home that I didn't pay for it. I took it back the next day and payed for it. The lady thought I was CRAZY for doing that. It was only worth about $2.50 I would always go back and pay for something, no matter how much it cost.

I thought it was interesting that Ryan and I differed on #'s 1 and 2. I wonder if it's a male/female thing as well as conscience. I think I am going to continue with these posts from time to time. I have a few more I want to lay on you! Thanks again for the comments you left!

3 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

The last scenerio happened to me yesterday. After I checked out I noticed that I wasn't charged for the diapers I had in my cart. Once we noticed it on the receipt, we immediately turned around and paid for them!

Unknown said...

Hmm, that's curious as to yours and Ryan's different takes on the situations. Thanks for sharing - that was super fun to think through!

Mike and Nicole said...

funny that you guys seem to go one each way. AND, I asked mike about it later that day after I had posted what I thought and I said, I wonder what their differences were and who went each way. Mike said, "oh, for sure, Ryan had Gavin sportin that coat home." I was cracking up. He will be glad to know about Ryan's roast. =)