Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Budget Cuts and Preschool

Well, we've decided to send Gavin to preschool in the fall. It was a surprisingly hard decision. I never thought I would send him.But now I think it would be so good for him. What we didn't know is that if you want to get your child into preschool through the Chicago Public School System, you apparently have to apply the day they are born. It is EXTREMELY hard to get them into a decent school. So, since I was unaware of that, we are searching for a private preschool. They are NOT cheap. I am pretty appalled at how much they can cost. I've found them anywhere between $2,000 to $7,000 a year! For PRESCHOOL!!! We haven't picked one, yet, but I can tell you it will not be the $7,000 one!

We are doing some budget cuts to find the money to send him somewhere. We thought our budget was as tight as it could be. We were wrong. It is so fun to save money and do it in places you never thought you could. Ryan even just called our internet provider and they lowered our bill without even changing our service. In about two days we found an extra $200! Preschool here we come! Now we just have to pick one! Any suggestion from experienced moms will be greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

Katie Barker said...

Way to go Ryan!

Katie said...

We have an awesome classical Christian school in Wheaton that we were hoping to send Luke to this fall, but won't because we can't swing the $2500 it would cost - not yet while we're still paying for Chris' school anyway. I don't know if there are any Classical or Classical Chr. schools near you, but we're pretty sold on that model of education for our kids. I hope you find something you're happy with!

christina said...

very cool! have fun, gavin. or as connor has taken to calling you, "mr. gavin."