Monday, July 13, 2009

In the Kitchen


In anticipation of Charlotte eating solids (whenever that may be), I have been blending up some baby food for her. I just started with the basic veggies (peas, green beans, carrots and sweet potatoes) and have only made a little bit. I am freezing them in ice cube trays. I have to say, it's a cinch! I love doing something economical and healthy for my family.

While I was whipping up some peas, Gavin asked for some (non pureed). He ate a big bowl of them. I love it that he loves his green veggies! Ryan almost threw up. He does not like his green veggies! Gavin has not caught on to the fact that Ryan passes them up when they are on the dinner table. I don't think he would care, though. He just loves 'em, not matter what!

So, have any of you made your own baby food? I'd love some tips, tricks and even some recipes!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds like you are doing what I did the first time around with Aaron. With Evan, I delayed solids for so long that I only did like 2 weeks of puree before he was ready for plain ol mashing with the fork, and now he's on to soft cooked veggies whole - pretty easy! Good job for planning ahead! :-)

Unknown said...

I did the same -- pureed veggies and froze them ice cube trays. I have an awesome baby food recipe book too that gave me some ideas for mixing flavors I wouldn't have considered on my own. It's called First Meals by Annabel Karmel. I'm not a big fan of using recipes for baby/kids' food but this cookbook is terrific! Lots of great recipes for kids that are healthy alternatives to processed convenience foods (i.e. chicken nuggets, fish sticks). I'm sure you could check it out from your library.

A handheld food grinder works well too so you can just grind up whatever veggies you're already serving for dinner. Then just add some of the cooking liquid to make it the right consistency.

I can't believe your baby is already old enough for solids!!